Invisalign treatment has helped millions of people get the smile they’ve always wanted. The clear aligners are a discreet and comfortable way to straighten your pearly whites. While these orthodontics are incredibly effective, you may need a little extra help at the end of your treatment to keep your smile on track. This is where Invisalign refinement trays come to the rescue! Here’s what to know about these helpful appliances and how to help your Invisalign process be more successful.
What Are Invisalign Refinements?
Invisalign refinements are simply extra trays used to put the finishing touch on your final smile with your orthodontic treatment. While not everyone will need them, they are quite common. Refinements are often required when your teeth have not completely moved as predicted and need additional help to be moved in the desired position.
Once visiting your orthodontist for your follow-up appointments, they will determine if additional refinement is needed. They will make adjustments to your treatment plan and recommend extra trays if your smile needs an extra push at the end. The refinement trays will shift your teeth accordingly to accomplish the final desired result and complete the Invisalign process. While refinement trays may extend your treatment by a few months, it will be worth it to achieve your newly aligned, beautiful smile!
Why Are Refinements Necessary?
There are several reasons your dentist may recommend refining your smile at the end of your orthodontic treatments. These can include:
- Neglecting to fulfill the recommended wear time of aligners (at least 22 hours a day)
- Going extended periods of time without wearing aligners
- Skipping the next set of aligners or switching them out too soon
- Wearing aligners in the incorrect order
- Needing to correct teeth that moved differently than expected
How Can You Ensure Success with Invisalign?
To ensure your Invisalign journey is successful, there are several things you can do to make the journey toward your new smile more successful, as well as decrease the chances of needing refinements. Be sure to do the following:
- Be sure to fulfill all recommended treatment guidelines, especially the wear time of 20-22 hours
- Maintain an excellent oral health routine to prevent any oral health issues that could interrupt your treatment
- Keep aligners safe in their storage case while they aren’t being worn; lost or broken aligners can cause delays and get your treatment plan off track
- Maintain all check-in visits with your orthodontist to ensure your teeth are moving in the correct direction
Even if your treatment needs to be extended a bit with refinements trays, it will be well worth it when your final smile is accomplished!
About the Practice
Struble Orthodontics keeps smiles healthy and beautiful through the expertise of its team of orthodontists at two different locations. They provide a full range of orthodontic services and treatments, including Invisalign and other clear aligners. With a 5-star rating on Google from 100 reviews, they can help you meet any of your oral health goals with the use of advanced dental techniques and personalized plans. To schedule an appointment, contact them through their website or call (541) 848-6642.